Diet plans are a dime a dozen, and it's not always easy to decide which one to follow. The plan that outshines all others is always the one that is effective for weight loss, but also won't leave you hungry.
They say that there is nothing that tastes as good as skinny feels, but nobody wants to have hunger pangs, do they? Imagine a diet that incorporates something super healthy but also decadently delicious as your staple food. Yes, this is possible!
There's an interesting diet that's been around for decades. It is called the apple diet plan.
Is eating apples to lose weight really possible? Let's explore this exciting concept!
Are Apples Good for Weight Loss?
We can safely say that apples are healthy, but this doesn't mean that an apple only diet is a good idea. Spinach is super healthy too, but you're not going to eat just spinach, are you?
For any weight loss diet to work, there must be a balance of healthy food and plenty of water and exercise to take effect fully.
Food is good, but common sense at the start of any dietary change is crucial. Always consult a physician first before attempting any diet!
The First Bite: What is the Apple Diet?
The apple diet varies in length from 5 full days to even 7 days, and it's not as simple as "one a day keeps the doctor away."
Read on as we take a bite out of the myths and methods surrounding this weight loss concept.
The apple diet plan works by either adding apples before every meal or substituting apples for meals. This is how it works:
For the first day, dieters can only eat apples for their breakfast, lunch, and dinner. You can eat them raw, stew them, or make a scrumptious apple sauce, as long as you stick to one simple rule: apples only!
Breakfast and dinner are for apples only, while lunch is composed of apples and raw veggies. Try an apple and coleslaw with some fresh apple vinaigrette as a dressing for a tasty, fresh lunch.
Day 3 to Day 5
Congratulations dieter! You can now eat all kinds of fresh fruit and juices, veggie smoothies, with the addition of small portions of protein, and even some dairy. However, don't forget your apples. Eat an apple before you have any other food.
Why the Apple Diet Plan is Great for Weight Loss
Apples are great for losing weight because they are an excellent food source withmany nutrients.
- They are rich in potassium, vitamin C, amino acids, and all the antioxidants your body needs.
- The apple diet is also high in fiber and low in calories, so you can eat this delicious fruit for breakfast, lunch, and dinner without worrying about packing on the pounds.
Eating apples for every meal has even more health benefits:
- As a nutrient-dense fruit, apples not only aid in weight loss but can also jumpstart metabolism.
- Studies suggest that eating apples every day may help fight cancer, reduce the risk of type-2 diabetes, and even boost your overall immune system.
How it Works
Let's peel away the layers of this diet plan to help you see if it can work for you.
You may have questions like, "What is the best apple to eat for weight loss?" "Is there any validity to eating apples at night?" and, in general, "Are apples good for a diet?"
The answers are pretty straightforward.
- The nutrient-dense, mineral-rich, fiber-packed apple is not only a tasty addition to anyone's daily meal plan, but this rock star of fruit also offers so much more!
- The fiber from the digested apple binds itself to fat molecules and stops any fat from being absorbed into the body.
- The fiber is then passed along with the fat.
- Eating an apple as a meal or at the beginning of a meal fills you up. It prevents hunger and may help stop you from overeating.
- As you begin to slowly introduce other foods into the diet, having that juicy apple will keep other portions of your meal smaller.
- Smaller portions = fewer calories, and fewer calories = weight loss!
The weight of an apple varies from one apple to the next and depends on the type of apple you prefer -a medium apple weighs around 6.5 ounces, which means there will be enough apple meat to give you that full feeling.
Some say that it doesn't matter which variety of apple you use for your diet, while others claim that the green apple weight loss diet is the best.
The difference between a tart green apple and a sweeter red apple is that the green apple has lower carbohydrate content and higher fiber. This subtle difference gives those tart and tasty green apples some added health benefits!
Do Apples Have Protein? What About Vitamins and Minerals?
A medium apple provides roughly 95 calories, with 0 grams of fat and about 5 grams of fiber.
Is there protein in apples? Yes! That same medium apple also contains about 1 gram of protein, 20 grams of naturally occurring sugar, and roughly 30 grams of carbohydrates to give you the fuel you need.
Does the Apple Diet Work?
This diet is as simple as using anapple peeler to peel some apples and then eat them! You will probably avoid hunger pangs when you're on the apple diet, and you could lose weight.
However, remember that when it comes to dieting, there are no quick fixes. The trick is to continue along a healthier route by making a lifestyle change. The apple diet could help you with that!
- Besides losing weight and curbing hunger, you may notice that you will have fewer cravings for processed or packaged foods, and find yourself indulging more in fresh fruits and vegetables.
- Once you get used to fresh food for a while, it's easier to stick to it.
- By simply avoiding foods containing artificial ingredients – especially color, flavor, and sweeteners – and focusing on fresher foods, the apple diet could help you get into the habit of eating cleaner.
What's the Catch?
There is no catch! However, this diet is not for everyone, and it's not a long-term solution.
- If eating fresh apples is not your thing, you may find it challenging to make it your staple as a meal or eat one before every meal.
- Boredom may set in soon after you start your apple-eating journey.
- As with any other diet, your metabolism will go through some changes, and this could cause you to feel a bit grumpy or sleepy for the first few days.
- Always drink plenty of water, and if you begin to feel weak or have any muscle or joint pain during the apple diet, it's best to stop.
- And ALWAYS get the all-clear from your doctor before you start any diet!
Last Bite: Getting to the Core
Yes, it is possible to use the humble apple for weight loss.
However, when starting any new diet, it's important to consider long-term nutritional needs. For example, think about how many vitamins you need, the percentage of carbohydrates, and how much protein.
In an apple, you'll find some of these key nutrients, but not all of them. So make sure you get it in other ways!
If one of your favorite foods is apples, this diet will probably appeal to you (no pun intended). The apple diet is a surefire way of losing a few pounds in a short amount of time. You can drop as much as 6 pounds in just a few days!
However, not everyone will respond the same way to the diet. If you love apples, it's worth a try!