Buffalo chicken pizza is a weekend winner that’s perfectly paired with a few cold drinks!
Our pizza recipe combines grilled chicken with homemade buffalo wing sauce and three different kinds of cheese: parmesan, mozzarella, and asiago cheese. It’s spicy, it’s fiery, and it’s delicious!
Buffalo chicken pizza takes a little more time to prepare, but that’s why it’s best made on a Saturday when you’ve got all the time in the world to prep the pizza dough and mix up the hot sauce. And trust us, it’s well worth the added effort when you sit back on the couch and take a bite of your spicy creation!
Keep reading, and find out how to prepare buffalo chicken pizza from scratch.
How to Make Buffalo Chicken Pizza
Buffalo chicken pizza takes classic chicken wing sauce and mixes it up by adding the chicken and the hot sauce to a crispy, cheesy pizza base.
At its most basic, this is a recipe that requires pizza dough, hot sauce, cheese, and chicken. You can choose to make all the components at home, or you can simply purchase the main ingredients at the store.
To get going, you’re going to need the following ingredients:
- Pizza dough
- Blue cheese dressing
- Mozzarella, parmesan, and asiago cheese
- Grilled chicken
- Buffalo sauce and hot sauce (Frank’s Hot Sauce is always a winner!)
You’re also going to need a pizza pan or baking tray, a pizza peel, and a few mixing bowls. It won’t hurt to have a pizza slicer too!
How to Make the Pizza Dough
You can’t make a pizza without the dough, but the question is, are you going to buy your dough from the store or make it at home?
- The easier option is store-bought dough! You’ll need one pound of dough per large pizza, and you need to make sure that you have let the dough rest at room temperature before starting to stretch it out into shape. Give it half an hour, minimum.
If you’re making dough from scratch, it might take a few tries to get it right.
- Pizza dough is formed by mixing together flour, yeast, sugar, salt, olive oil, and warm water. Mix everything together, knead it into shape, then let the dough rise.
- Importantly, you need to pre-bake your dough. This is a thick pizza, so for the perfect crispy finish, you have to bake the dough in the oven for 7 minutes before adding any toppings.
- Roll the dough into shape, then place it into your pizza pan. Once the base has pre-baked, then you can add the toppings.
How to Make Buffalo Sauce for Wings
To make the buffalo sauce for the pizza, we are basically stealing a classic buffalo sauce that we’d usually use for chicken wings. It works really well when mixed with grilled chicken and your cheesy pizza base!
The sauce is easy to prepare:
- Melt a cup of butter;
- Then combine it with celery salt, garlic powder, cayenne pepper powder, ground cloves, nutmeg, onion powder, and salt and pepper;
- Once you have the buffalo sauce, mix it with added Frank’s Hot Sauce to make the mixture much spicier.
- The more spice you want, the more Frank’s Hot Sauce you need to add.
Don’t Forget to Grill the Chicken First!
It’s really important to pre cook the chicken before you add it to the hot sauce. For the best results, grill the chicken in the oven for 20 minutes. You can also pan fry or oven bake.
If you add the chicken to the pizza when it’s still raw, then it simply won’t have enough time to cook through. The pizza base and the rest of the toppings will burn first.
When you’ve cooked the chicken, slice it into chunks, then smother it in hot sauce.
Buffalo Wing Sauce Recipe
Makes 1 cup of buffalo wing sauce
Ingredients for buffalo sauce
- 2 tsp of celery salt
- ½ tbsp of garlic powder
- 1 tsp of cayenne pepper powder*
- ½ tsp of ground cloves
- ½ tbsp of nutmeg
- ½ tbsp of onion powder
- 1 c of melted butter
- Salt and pepper to taste
* If you prefer your buffalo wing sauce to be hot and spicy, then add more cayenne pepper powder!
Directions for buffalo sauce
- Before you can make your buffalo chicken pizza, you need to mix together the buffalo chicken wing sauce. The ingredients above are enough to make 1 cup of sauce, which can then be stored in the fridge for later use. You only need a few tablespoons per pizza!
- Add 1 cup of butter to a small saucepan and allow it to melt on medium heat.
- Measure all of the ingredients for the buffalo chicken wings sauce in a small mixing bowl, and combine them together. When the butter has melted, pour this into the mixing bowl too.
- Use a whisk or a fork to combine the butter with the spices for a smooth chicken wing pizza sauce!
Buffalo Chicken Pizza Recipe
Makes 1 x 14 inch buffalo chicken pizza
Ingredients for buffalo chicken pizza
- 1 lb of premade pizza dough
- ¾ lb of grilled chicken breast
- ¼ c of blue cheese dressing
- 1 c of shredded mozzarella cheese
- ½ c of shredded asiago cheese
- ½ c of finely shredded parmesan cheese
- 3 tbsp of premade buffalo wing sauce
- 1 tbsp of Frank’s Hot Sauce*
*The quantity of hot sauce you add to your buffalo pizza depends on how much spice you enjoy. Make this recipe with extra hot sauce if you like it to be fiery!
Directions for buffalo chicken pizza
- Ensure that you have premade dough and premade buffalo hot sauce ready to go. The dough needs to sit at room temperature for at least half an hour before you start stretching it out into a pizza base.
- You also need to have your chicken breast grilled, as it can’t go onto the pizza when it’s raw. We suggest giving the chicken a minimum of 20 minutes cook time under the grill.
- When you’re ready to start assembling the pizza, preheat the oven to 450 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Take 3 tablespoons of premade buffalo wing sauce and mix it together with 1 tablespoon of Frank’s Hot Sauce. Chop your chicken breasts into bite sized chunks and coat them with the hot sauce.
- Next, take a pizza pan and ensure that it’s thoroughly greased. Stretch your pizza dough into shape, and place it into the pan. Don’t add any toppings yet! Once the oven has preheated, you must pre bake the pizza dough for a total time of 7 minutes.
- Once it’s been pre baked, it’s time to build your buffalo chicken pizza. First, add an even layer of blue cheese dressing.
- The second layer needs to be the buffalo sauce and chicken. Third, add a layer of parmesan, then finish with asiago cheese and mozzarella cheese.
- Drizzle over any remaining hot sauce you have, then use a pizza peel to carefully place the buffalo chicken into the oven. As the pizza dough has been pre baked already, total time in the oven now only needs to be 8 minutes.
- When the crust is golden, and the cheese has all melted on top, remove the pizza pan from the oven and let it cool for a few minutes.
- Cut the pizza into slices, then serve with a sprinkle of parmesan and some extra sauce for dipping the crusts into!
That’s It for Our Buffalo Chicken Pizza Recipe!
That’s it for our buffalo chicken pizza recipe. It’s a fiery combination of chicken, cheese, and hot sauce that’s going to leave your mouth burning. We love serving this delicious pizza on the weekends, as it goes down particularly well with a few cold drinks when you’re watching your favorite sports or tv shows.
And remember, you can make this as spicy (or as mild) as you like. You could even add fresh chili peppers or garnish the pizza with chili oil for an extra-hot finish.
Will you be cooking buffalo chicken pizza? Why not bookmark our recipe for the next gameday?