Nothing quite beats the decadent smell of melting mozzarella as your saucy pizza base crisps in the oven. Nothing that is, except the smell of homemade pizza dough that you've lovingly prepared from scratch.
Once you've mastered your homemade pizza dough (and we'll be explaining in more detail how to do that), complete your pizza with layer after layer of tomato sauce, cheese, and all of your favorite toppings.
Keep reading, and find out how to make a perfect homemade pizza!
How to make homemade pizza from scratch
Ingredients for the pizza dough recipe
You can use the quantities below for 2 12 inch pizzas
- 2 ¼ tsp of instant yeast
- 2 Tbsp of olive oil
- ¾ tsp of salt
- 3 ½ c of all-purpose flour
- 1 ⅓ c of warm water
- 1 Tbsp of sugar
On top of these ingredients, you can also add cornmeal to the dough once you've prepared it to crisp it up in the pan when it's time to cook your pizza in the oven.
Directions for pizza dough
- Measure out warm water, yeast, and sugar into a large mixing bowl and whisk together until they are well combined.
- Leave this mixture to rest for at least 5 mins in the bowl.
- Next, measure out salt, flour, and olive oil into the same mixing bowl. Combine these ingredients together with a thick spoon or your hands until you have a thick dough.*
- Once you're happy with the consistency, move the dough to a lightly floured surface. Knead for 10 mins.
- When the dough is springy, you can place it back in the mixing bowl and give it a light layer of olive oil. Ensure that all sides are coated.
- Cover the bowl and leave the dough at room temperature to rise. It will take up to 1 ½ hrs to rise completely.
- Once your dough has fully risen, divide it into two equal parts, then roll each piece into a pizza dough.
- Now you can prepare your toppings, and get ready to bake your homemade pizza!
*You can add more water if the dough is too dry or sprinkle more flour into the mixture if it's too sticky.
How to make a pizza
- Once you’ve pulled your pizza dough from the oven, add a thick layer of your pizza sauce of choice.
- Add your veggies, meats, and fruit (if that’s your thing.)
- Top it all off with the desired amount of your favourite cheese or cheese combinations.
- Throw the pizza into the oven for 15-20* min. Continually checking to make sure the crust is not burning.
*The cooking time depends on how thick your toppings are on your pizza. For a thicker layer of toppings, stick to 20 minutes. For a thinner layer, stick to 15 minutes.
Homemade pizza FAQ
Homemade pizza is a great option to get the entire family involved in making supper, and we tried to make this pizza recipe easy for even the smallest of hands!
Give everyone their own ingredients and toppings and let each person build their personal pizza from scratch.
In case you have questions, we added a few tips and FAQs that we so commonly get over this particular recipe! Keep reading to create the best homemade pizza.
What is the best pizza-making equipment?
Before preparing your dough, cheese, sauce, and toppings, it's good to gather together the equipment you need.
You don't need all of the following kitchen items, but the full set will make things easier. Of course, you'll need an oven too, or better yet, a wood-fired pizza oven!
- Stand mixer or mixing bowl
- Rolling pin
- Pizza stone or baking tray
- Pizza cutter
- Pizza peel
- Cheese grater
What is the best sauce and toppings for pizza?
Homemade pizza recipes are great because you can add your favorite sauce and toppings to make your own pizza.
For the sauce, we suggest a classic marinara or tomato-based sauce, but you could opt for a heavier barbecue base too.
Your sauce goes on first, followed by your cheese and toppings. For the toppings, here are a few classic ideas:
- Four cheeses
- Hawaiin (ham and pineapple)
- Barbecue chicken
- Veggie supreme (peppers, mushrooms, onions, etc.)
- Seafood special
- Meat feast (all the meat you can find!)
Which cheese is best for pizza?
Picking the right cheese is incredibly important too, so remember to choose the best cheese you can for your homemade pizza. Check out our favorite cheeses for pizza:
- Aged Havarti
- Goat Cheese
How long does it take for homemade pizza to cook?
Once your pizza is assembled, you’ll place it onto a pizza stone or baking tray, or you can let it cook directly on the shelf of the oven.
We recommend giving the crust a light brushing of olive oil before you place it into the oven.
- Your oven needs to preheat to 450°F.
- It will take a minimum of 10 minutes for the pizza to bake through.
- If you've got a large number of toppings or prefer a super-crispy crust, then you can leave the pizza in the oven for 15 - 20 minutes.
- Be sure you watch your crust and make sure it’s not burning!
Using the pizza peel, remove the pizza from the oven, then slice it up using a pizza slicer (or a sharp knife). This pizza is best served hot and fresh, straight from the oven.
How can I store leftover pizza?
Place any leftovers in a resealable box or baggie and store them in the refrigerator for up to 48 hours.
You can also freeze the pizza for up to 6 months, although it's much tastier when it's fresh!
Reheat in the oven or microwave.
Top homemade pizza takeaways!
With our recipe for pizza dough, your favorite pizza sauce, and of course, your top pizza toppings, make your favorite pizza at home!
Get creative and wild - try some new combos you never thought you’d like, and who knows, you might just discover the chief of all pizzas right there in your kitchen.
You can be turning out quality homemade pizzas with as much cheese as you desire and all the quality pizza ingredients you can handle in no time at all.
Why not bookmark our guide? Learn how to make pizza dough with our homemade pizza recipe for your next pizza and game night!