If you’ve got apples, but are wondering what to bake next, then why not try our delightful recipe for homemade apple bread?
This easy-to-bake recipe is packed full of apples and filled with cinnamon (and lots of sugar, of course!). You’ll need to whisk together a quick bread batter, chop up your Granny Smith apples, and then leave it to bake in the oven.
It’s that easy, but don’t worry, we’ll run through the basics in more detail below. Keep reading, and discover the bread-baking joys of this delectable treat!
How to make homemade apple bread
There are lots of variations of this bread, but we’ve kept things simple by sticking to a somewhat traditional (and basic) recipe that doesn’t require any special ingredients or much baking experience, for that matter.
This recipe is soft and spongy, and although it’s shaped like an apple bread loaf, it’s perhaps better described as an apple bread cake. It’s sweet, yet the Granny Smith apples add a tartness to the overall taste that’s balanced out by the cinnamon powder.
You’ll need an apple peeler in order to peel, core, then slice the apples before they can be added to the bread batter that we’ll explain below how to whip up. A 9 x 5-inch bread loaf baking tin is a must-have for this recipe!
The following ecipe prepares 1 large loaf that’s good for 10 slices/servings.
- 2 c of chopped apples
- 1 ¾ c of all-purpose flour
- 1 ¼ tsp of baking powder
- 2 tsp of cinnamon powder
- ¾ c of white sugar
- ¾ c of brown sugar
- ½ c of melted butter
- 2 large eggs
- 2 tsp of vanilla extract
- ¼ c of applesauce
- Pinch of salt
- Start your apple quick bread recipe by preheating the oven to 350°F and buttering up a 9 x 5-inch bread loaf tin for baking.
- Next, peel, core, then chop your apples into small chunks. Set aside while you prepare the batter.
- Measure out all of the dry ingredients for the batter into a large mixing bowl (minus the sugar); this is flour, baking powder, cinnamon powder, and a pinch of salt. Whisk them together until the dry ingredients are well-combined.
- Next, mix together all of the wet ingredients for the batter and the sugar. This is your melted butter, large eggs, vanilla extract, and applesauce. Whisk together until well-combined.
- Now pour the combined dry ingredients into the mixed wet ingredients. Stir both sets of ingredients together slowly (you don’t need to whisk).
- Add the chopped apples to the batter, then fold them gently into the other ingredients.
- Pour the batter into your greased 9 x 5-inch bread loaf tin, then allow to bake in the preheated oven for 60 mins. Your healthy bread is ready when it passes the toothpick test - push a toothpick into the center; if the toothpick comes out clean, it’s cooked through.
- Once cooked, remove your bread from the oven and allow it to cool for at least 10 mins before slicing and serving!
Easy apple bread recipe FAQ
How long does this bread last?
This bread is best enjoyed fresh off the cooling rack, but we know you can’t eat all 10 slices of this cake in one sitting on your own!
It’s best kept at room temperature rather than in the refrigerator (unless it’s really hot where you live!). Place the leftover slices into a bread basket or cake tin, and ensure they stay covered. They’ll last for at least 5 days when stored properly at room temperature.
You can enjoy your leftovers either hot or cold. Reheat in the oven or in the microwave.
What are the best apples for this bread?
The best apple bread recipe needs the best apples, so make sure you pick your favorites before preparing this loaf of tasty breadcake. Remember, healthy apple bread recipes with fresh apples are always superior, as well!
We suggest using Granny Smith apples to get you started. These classic cooking apples never fail to deliver, and their tartness counters the sweetness of the sugar to create a well-balanced apple cake. Granny Smith apples also hold their shape really well through the baking process, so you’ll have nice chunks of appley goodness to bite into.
Green apples work really well, but if you want an extra layer of sweetness, try using sweet red apples too. A combination of Granny Smith and Honeycrisp or Red Delicious is a great way to mix up the recipe!
What is Dutch apple bread?
Don’t confuse our recipe with Dutch apple bread. While similar, the Dutch version has a few very unique differences that make this a whole other type of dessert!
Dutch bread is also prepared using a soft, bready batter of butter, sugar, and eggs, but it has a Dutch-style streusel topping to finish, as well as a vanilla icing topping. There’s a lot more going on with a Dutch apple bread recipe; easy it is not, but it is delicious!
Dutch apple bread is a great way to vary the recipe, however. You can also try a few simpler changes by adding pecans or walnuts to the batter, for an apple nut bread, or any dried fruits you have in the cupboard, such as raisins or dried apricots.
What can I serve with it?
There are lots of great serving options once you’ve baked your easy bread. This is a great coffee cake snack or a wonderful dessert, and a few toppings really help it to shine.
A slice of this bread goes particularly well with a large dollop of vanilla ice cream, as it also does with a few (or quite a few) spoonfuls of heavy cream. Cold apple bread and warm custard is a great combination, or you can simply add a few frozen or fresh berries to finish!
Apple bread: the last slice
That’s a wrap for our delicious recipe! Once you’ve got your batter whisked up, and your apples are peeled, cored, and ready to go, all you have to do is sit back and watch this bread rise in the oven.
When it’s baked through, be patient and allow it to cool before serving with a dollop of ice cream, lashings of heavy cream, or some sweet applesauce. If you’re looking for a great baking recipe, then why not give our easy recipe a try?